Home » Online council services » Discussion forum

Salford City Council discussion forum

We have amended the terms and conditions as of 15 July 2014, which users must accept before they can access the forum. Existing users of the forum confirm that they accept and agree to the amended terms and conditions by continuing to access the forum.

Forum home   Search the forum   Forum members   Forum terms and conditions   Forum help   Log in   Register

All forums » Find old friends

Page 1 of 1  

strawberry hill junior school
Posted by: ajumuk on 7 December 2007 at 10.18pm
My name is Michael Shaw,
I went to this school from 1947 up till 1952. I lived in Wallness Lane Salford 6. Names that come to mind are, Peter Ryan,Allan Noblet and Pat Preston her date of birth was 5 of Nov 1942, mine was the 8 Nov 1942.

> This message was edited at 21:47 on 17 December 2007 by ajumuk
Posted by: tbinks on 27 June 2008 at 10.57pm
my mum Patricia slater went to Strawberry Hill in the forties. she lived in Leigh Street.

Posted by: tbinks on 27 June 2008 at 10.57pm
my mum Patricia slater went to Strawberry Hill in the forties. she lived in Leigh Street.

Posted by: ajumuk on 14 July 2008 at 7.51pm
Was her Maiden name "Preston" I started school in 1947, when did your mam start?
Mick Shaw
Posted by: tbinks on 1 October 2009 at 11.29am
Hi Mick,

My mum was at the school the same time, she remembers
Michael Billington, Dorothy ?, Jean Worthington, Helen ? Wilfred Thomas, David ? and she was friendly with Pat Preston. I found a photograph at the Salford Local History Library of her class.

Traceyx big smile

> This message was edited at 11:40 on 1 October 2009 by tbinks
Posted by: ajumuk on 2 October 2009 at 7.33pm
Dear Traceyx,
If your mother was a friend of Pat Preston, she would have been in the same class as the both of us. Another name that comes to mind is Martin Smallman. I lived in Wallness Lane, where did your mum live?.
Thanks for the information.
Mick Shaw
Posted by: tbinks on 2 October 2009 at 10.55pm
Hi Mick,

My mum lived in Leigh Street, Pendleton, which I believe is very close to the school and St Barnabas church. According to mum her other siblings went to the same school, Jack, Doreen, Barbara, Norma, Michael. Dont know if that helps

Tracey cool
Posted by: ajumuk on 4 October 2009 at 4.54pm
Hi Tracey,
My two elder sisters went to the same school.
Norma & Rita Shaw. We lived in Young Street, then Wallness Lane.
After 60 years, names are hard to remember. My cousins, June & Beril, just a few years older than me, were also there. one teacher I remember is Mrs Slazinger?? could be spelt wrong.
Thanks for the information.
Mick
Posted by: tbinks on 7 October 2009 at 9.51pm
Greetings Mick,
My mum mentioned the same teacher as you. Mum went onto Pendleton High School. She remembers that only a couple of classmates passed the 11+, have you seen the photos held at Salford Library? do you want me to send it to you?

Tracey big smile
Posted by: ajumuk on 8 October 2009 at 4.46pm
Hi Tracey,
I would be more than happy to receive the photos off you.
My eldest sister went to Broughton Modern Girls school.
she ended up the head girl. I left Broughton Modern when I was 14, the whole family moved to Blackburn and I eventually joine the Royal Navy, and lost touch with all my Salford friends.
Obviously my email address is:-
ajumuk@btinternet.com.
Many thanks.
Mick

> This message was edited at 21:41 on 13 October 2009 by ajumuk
Posted by: bill carney on 6 February 2010 at 10.38pm
Hi all of you

I remember most of the names above as class mate at Strawberry Hill

Bill Carney
billcarneyuk@hotmail.com
www.orchard-rose-boxers-bulldogs.co.uk
Posted by: tbinks on 8 February 2010 at 6.12pm
bill carney said:
Hi all of you

Bill Carney
billcarneyuk@hotmail.com
Posted by: tbinks on 8 February 2010 at 6.13pm
bill carney said:
Hi all of you

Bill Carney
billcarneyuk@hotmail.com

Hi Bill, Do you remember my mum, Patricia Slater?
Tracey
Posted by: bill carney on 8 February 2010 at 9.44pm
tbinks said:
bill carney said:
Hi all of you

Bill Carney
billcarneyuk@hotmail.com

Hi Bill, Do you remember my mum, Patricia Slater?
Tracey

> This message was edited at 21:45 on 8 February 2010 by bill carney
Posted by: bill carney on 8 February 2010 at 9.59pm
Hi Tracey

how could I ever forget Pat Preston
How could any of us ever forget Pat Preston
She was I thought at the time the best thing since ice-cream I used to have a school boy crush on her, though at that age I would like all the boys never had the nerve to say so.
I have class photos from the late 1940’s she will be on them though I doubt I could pick her out now. I will try to find them and post one on our web site, you could send me a message either through the web site or from here pointing her out.

Some other names that come to mind are Dorothy Wallace, Derek Grey, Roy Kelly, Michael Billington, James Pendlebury, et all.

I will be remembered a a naughty boy - the one who blew up the school lavatories and other pranks. big grin

> This message was edited at 22:08 on 8 February 2010 by bill carney
Posted by: ajumuk on 11 February 2010 at 4.45pm
Dear Bill,

We must have been rivals for the efections of Pat Preston, I think she fancied me more than you. I wouldnt mind if you sent me a copy of the photographs you promised Tracy, thats if you dont mind. Tracy sent me a couple of snaps, via this site, and like you I find it hard to remember faces. Tracy is a nice girl, she just has to remember that at our age things vanish into a thick mist of time. We are getting old, and I dont like it, still I wake up every morning so there is still time yet.

All the best.
Mick Shaw

> This message was edited at 16:48 on 11 February 2010 by ajumuk
Posted by: kevin fennell on 17 October 2011 at 6.07pm
i wonder if anyone can help me i went to strawberry hill school in the early seventies i have very fond memories of this period but cannot find any photos of the school durring this period, i remember poseing for many photos aspecialy in the football strip of celtic, can anyone else remember or have any photos of this period
Posted by: tbinks on 19 October 2011 at 2.22pm
Have you tried friends reunited? Just a though x
Posted by: kevin fennell on 21 October 2011 at 2.46pm
friends reunited ask to many questions! thanks anyway
Posted by: June mason on 4 November 2011 at 7.34pm
There are class photo’s from Strawberry Hill School on the Friends Reunited Site.
Posted by: ajumuk on 26 November 2012 at 8.34pm
Bill,
Did you ever find the photographs from the 40’s ???
Please let me know.
Regards.
Mick Shaw
Posted by: witches_rave on 14 January 2013 at 10.06pm
My nanna Dorothy Adams (maiden name Clarke) went to Strawberry Hill. I have class pictures from approx 1947 and 1948 if anyone is interested in having a look?

Please feel free to email daniellelouiseadams@gmail.com

Page 1 of 1