Home » Online council services » Discussion forum

Salford City Council discussion forum

We have amended the terms and conditions as of 15 July 2014, which users must accept before they can access the forum. Existing users of the forum confirm that they accept and agree to the amended terms and conditions by continuing to access the forum.

Forum home   Search the forum   Forum members   Forum terms and conditions   Forum help   Log in   Register

All forums » Find old friends

Page 4 of 4 First page Previous page 1234 

Posted by: Chris Wigley on 5 February 2009 at 4.15pm
Hi Denise

Sorry to hear about Johnny.

I remember your mum Yvonne, or as she was known Vonnie. I used to work at Cussons in the early 70’s and as knew Mary, her sister who worked there.

The Cuddy’s were great swimmers and on a Sunday morning they used to go to Seedley Baths. Now there was a baths and a half. I remember it had 1st and 2nd class swimming (not sure if it had 3rd class.

I also remember the story about Elsie Byrnes. In the 60’s Harriet D, organised a Ladies trip to see the Sound of Music, they had a coach from High Street to the Gaumont. Elsie sat next to John and my Mum Irene Wigley. Before the film started there was a Pearl and Dean advertising film and one of the features was for Tia Maria. Elsie said to Mum "I’ll buy you one of those in the interval", and my mum said "Do you know that they cost half-a-crown (12p)", "Jesus", said Elsie "You can have half a mild and like it"

Linda Cuddy used to push John in his pram. In the mid 1950’s she went on holiday with our Mum and Dad to Coniston in a camping coach. We have some photographs of her with them in the Lake District.
Posted by: jwigley on 9 February 2009 at 12.33pm
Hi Denise
As Chris mentioned Linda Cuddy in his last posting on here and he and i spoke about her on the phone over the weekend, do you know anything about her.
Regards. John
Posted by: den18 on 9 February 2009 at 4.14pm
hi you two wigley boys
thanks chris it was a horrible time when we lost him.
yes our linda is alive and well and living in cadishead and i also remember your mum and i know linda and your mum exchanged xmas cards for years, my mam and mary will be 80 at the end of the year but its great when they together as they still argue as if they are kids back to our linda she had 4 children nick jason justine and kelly all grown up now she was widowed at 39, a lot of the cuddy’s got together last week at my uncle hadges funeral he is the first one of my mams brother to die there is billy mam mary peter danny linda terry she is still a good swimmer as we all were taught the cuddy way which was you were thrown in the deep end the first time you went to the baths but they were on hand to rescue you but it must of worked because we could all swim from a young age, when i think of elsie byrne i can still hear her voice shouting over the yard wall "mrs cuddy are you there"
god the good old days i will ring our linda and tell her i have spoken to you two.
best wishes denise
Posted by: den18 on 9 February 2009 at 4.23pm
hi you two wigley boys
thanks chris it was a horrible time when we lost him.
yes our linda is alive and well and living in cadishead and i also remember your mum and i know linda and your mum exchanged xmas cards for years, my mam and mary will be 80 at the end of the year but its great when they together as they still argue as if they are kids back to our linda she had 4 children nick jason justine and kelly all grown up now she was widowed at 39, a lot of the cuddy’s got together last week at my uncle hadges funeral he is the first one of my mams brother to die there is billy mam mary peter danny linda terry she is still a good swimmer as we all were taught the cuddy way which was you were thrown in the deep end the first time you went to the baths but they were on hand to rescue you but it must of worked because we could all swim from a young age, when i think of elsie byrne i can still hear her voice shouting over the yard wall "mrs cuddy are you there"
god the good old days i will ring our linda and tell her i have spoken to you two.
best wishes denise
Posted by: angie on 9 February 2009 at 9.42pm
hi denise, i have just been looking on here and see you know my uncle john and my nan elsie, wow small world. Do you remember my mum pat ?
Posted by: jwigley on 10 February 2009 at 8.22am
Hi Denise
When you speak to Linda Cuddy please give her Chris and my best wishes and ask her if she remembers the holiday she had with us in Coniston probably about 1956.
Regards. John
Posted by: Chris Wigley on 10 February 2009 at 11.53am
Hi Denise

Was speaking on the phone to John during the week and I said my abiding memory of your Gran was how hard working she was. I cannot think of High Street with picturing her cleaning her upstairs windows by sitting reverse on the window cill and pulling the sash down to secure her legs and cleaning away with the chamoix leather.

Glad to hear about Linda. I remember her living in Henry Street in the second house (?) facing the side of the off-license..........or as we called it in those days the "Outdoor"

Send my congratulations to the twins on making 80.

Was it Florin Street round the corner from where you lived. I remember a really good Chippy on it, to this day I think back to the best chips I had from there all wrapped in newspaper before we became obsessed with regulations.
Posted by: den18 on 10 February 2009 at 3.29pm
Hi John and Chris
I lived on penny st next to the chippy my nanna was brill she died in 1988 and it was as if the queen had died she was the head of the family after my grandad died i remember finding half a crown on the wall over the road where we were all playing and i am sure it was left for john by a lad or vica versu and john cuddy and everyone one else made me go to the tofee shop and i shared it out then the lad came back for it and they all said i had spent it and made a sharp exit as he was going to tell my grandad and no one messed with him and when the lad told him i had spent his either half a crown or two shilling my grandad asked me what i had done with it and i told him i had shared it out with everyone he just took it out of his pocket and flicked it to the lad but everyone avoided my grandad for a few days oh happy days
Posted by: den18 on 10 February 2009 at 3.34pm
hi angie
course i remember all your family i loved your nan and i spent half my childhood with your uncle john how is he give him my best i remember us all going on cross lane fair and janice falling of either the walzers or the bikes and damaging her leg it was awfull and i have never looked at fairs as fun thing ever since gosh it is a small world
Posted by: den18 on 10 February 2009 at 3.38pm
hi john
I will ask our linda that was the year before i was born she was on holidaywith your family but i do remember everytime we went away a tent would appear with linda terry and alan and joyce locket and even irene stanley linda was allways one of the boys
Posted by: Chris Wigley on 10 February 2009 at 5.27pm
den18 said:
Hi John and Chris
I lived on penny st next to the chippy my nanna was brill she died in 1988 and it was as if the queen had died she was the head of the family after my grandad died i remember finding half a crown on the wall over the road where we were all playing and i am sure it was left for john by a lad or vica versu and john cuddy and everyone one else made me go to the tofee shop and i shared it out then the lad came back for it and they all said i had spent it and made a sharp exit as he was going to tell my grandad and no one messed with him and when the lad told him i had spent his either half a crown or two shilling my grandad asked me what i had done with it and i told him i had shared it out with everyone he just took it out of his pocket and flicked it to the lad but everyone avoided my grandad for a few days oh happy days

Your Grandad used to say about Timous, he needs his glasses to eat his bone! What a sense of humour.

Those were different days, Harriet D and my Mum never called your Gran by anything other than Mrs Cuddy, in respect that she was older than them.
Posted by: jwigley on 12 February 2009 at 5.18pm
Hi Denise
I can also remember your Grandad telling Peter Cuddy and myself that he had a Lion in the cellar. It frightened the life out of the pair of us and it was ages before i would go down in our cellar at home.
I also remember that it was always your Grandad who would light the Bonfire on 5th November. It would be all set up and we would have to wait for him.
Regard John
Posted by: den18 on 13 February 2009 at 4.02pm
hi john
yes my grandad had a funny sense of humour my mam told me once that when her and mary were old enough to go out to the pubs they had a secret knock so the other could go down and let the other in which was mainly mary as my mam was seeing my dad who was in the army so she did not go out as much and when mary knocked she went to sneak to let her in but grandad stepped out and said no you dont he went and opened the window and emptied a chamber pot over her head and another time mary was arrested for singing coming home from the pub and a policeman knocked on the door to tell my grandad they had his daughter and friends at the police station and was he coming for her and he said no you can keep her there all night which they did. we all laugh about it now.
Posted by: Rob Riva on 31 March 2009 at 7.13pm
jwigley said:
Does anyone have any memeories of High Street in Salford where i was born and lived until 1968, when it demolised to make way for the Shopping Centre. I lived at 267 which was at the Moores Bakery end (not West High Street / Cross Lane.
Posted by: jeannief on 31 March 2009 at 7.27pm
Was Fitzwarren street on the other side of Moores Bakery ? Which street had the church hall? How long did you live there?
Posted by: shanks on 16 April 2009 at 11.59pm
Harryp said:
Hi Barrie and JW,

My Auntie lived on High Street but i can’t remember the number, their name was Howson. Their was Uncle Bill, Auntie Mary and daughter Jean. They lived at the Morre’s bakery end too and i remember a chemist near them called Dalzeil’s i think. Also if you carried on up High Street just after Dalzeil’s there was a sweet shop come tobacconist who sold superb ice cream. Sometime’s myself and Jean used to walk up High Street to near the Cross Lane end and there was a bakery who sold you a roast dinner if you took your own plate ( Happy Days ). Now then Slater Street, my grandma lived at number 21 her name was Lizzie Pearson and next door to her was the Price family who are my cousin’s, there was Paul, Glyn, and Brenda. I lived on Fitzwarren Street opposite the bakery and have great memories of the area. The bonfires on the croft at the rear of Ida Street,helping the bread men at Moore’s, playing football in Slater Street back entry about 20 a side too, and one of my fondest memories is sitting with the ****ie watchman at Morre’s bakery. I remember milk lollies too and milk chews and who could forget the 1d 2d and 3d trays. My name is Pearson and some durnames i remember from Slater Street, Fitzwarren Street and Ida Street/Garnet Wolsey Street are as follows. Bowers, Mulready, Hanrahan, Hall, Cleary, McElroy, Parker. And finally i don’t know how old you two are but i’m 53 and when i was about 10 years old everybody was scared to death of a girl who lived near High Street somewhere called Queenie. Wish i could go back to those days
Posted by: shanks on 17 April 2009 at 12am
Harryp said:
Hi Barrie and JW,

My Auntie lived on High Street but i can’t remember the number, their name was Howson. Their was Uncle Bill, Auntie Mary and daughter Jean. They lived at the Morre’s bakery end too and i remember a chemist near them called Dalzeil’s i think. Also if you carried on up High Street just after Dalzeil’s there was a sweet shop come tobacconist who sold superb ice cream. Sometime’s myself and Jean used to walk up High Street to near the Cross Lane end and there was a bakery who sold you a roast dinner if you took your own plate ( Happy Days ). Now then Slater Street, my grandma lived at number 21 her name was Lizzie Pearson and next door to her was the Price family who are my cousin’s, there was Paul, Glyn, and Brenda. I lived on Fitzwarren Street opposite the bakery and have great memories of the area. The bonfires on the croft at the rear of Ida Street,helping the bread men at Moore’s, playing football in Slater Street back entry about 20 a side too, and one of my fondest memories is sitting with the ****ie watchman at Morre’s bakery. I remember milk lollies too and milk chews and who could forget the 1d 2d and 3d trays. My name is Pearson and some durnames i remember from Slater Street, Fitzwarren Street and Ida Street/Garnet Wolsey Street are as follows. Bowers, Mulready, Hanrahan, Hall, Cleary, McElroy, Parker. And finally i don’t know how old you two are but i’m 53 and when i was about 10 years old everybody was scared to death of a girl who lived near High Street somewhere called Queenie. Wish i could go back to those days
Posted by: shanks on 17 April 2009 at 12.06am
Hi harryp i lived in birley st near high st you refer to ice cream waltons shop i think, same surname as me but not related. the dinners on a plate were from "kates kitchen" do you remember the foundry wall we used to call it the hot wall where we warmed our bumsm in winter. certainly were happy days
Posted by: jwigley on 17 April 2009 at 8.16am
Hi All
Yes very happy days. I remember some of the names in your piece above and i’m sure that my brother would remember all of them. I’m 57 this year. We left High Street in 1968 and were one of the last to leave. There was nothing between us and Broad Street.
Posted by: robwols on 4 December 2010 at 5.28pm
Hello again Barrie
I read your post about Wilson and Carr’s and Bob Carr’s.
As I remember, W&C was the news agents about 5 yards round the corner from Church St. onto Broad St. My dad, Arthur, used to send me there for his cigs and news paper. If you went down Fitzwarren St from Sutton Flats and instead of continuing straight on,bear left round the bend toward Ellor St, Bob Carr’s was the Outdoor Beer Licence just past Gills chemists on the right. Sunday morning meant a trip for me with a 2 pint pot jug to pick up Dad’s beer and a bottle of Harry Edmundsons lemonade for me and our Doris.
I think the total cost was a shilling.
A few yards further down on the corner of Buxton St. (or was it New York St?) was Mrs. Bellas’ grocery shop. She was a big lady with a red face and white hair. No matter what you asked for, she would say "Oh, I’m sorry. I have just sold the last one" As you turned to leave, she would say, "Just a minute, I’ll see if I have one under the counter." And she would invariably would come up with the item. We knew this was a ploy to make you believe you were a special customer.

Bob Wolstenholme

Sutton Flats

> This message was edited at 21:59 on 4 December 2010 by robwols

Bob Wolstenholme
Posted by: Alan Cutts on 5 December 2010 at 5.16am
g’day
there was a shop at the bottom of New York ST I lived in NY St for a while and worked in her yard on sundays to gain some grocerys to eat, worked at the royal pub in the cellars
each night and worked at Mace Group grocers warehouse
weekdays, my permanent work wage was 32/6 pr week and my rent was 32/6 per week hence the need to work other jobs hey!
Regards Alan
Posted by: Barrie McKinnon on 6 December 2010 at 10.41am
Hi Bob,
Spot on! I can still taste the milk lollies from Carrs. I certainly remember Bellas(or Bellis) - but rarely went in. Trips in that direction were only really to visit a mate, Gary Pevitt, who lived in a chippy that I never remember being open - by that I mean that they didn’t run the business any more and all the range and equipment was rusted and old, so no idea when it was last opened as a shop. From Sutton Flats I seem to remember that the shops on Seedley Road supplied just about everything that anyone couold want - from the Coop to Sam’s chippy - for the really adventurous you could walk down Highfield Road to Lr Seedley Rd - even more shops!! Was it Shaws the newsagent that sold fireworks? What a memory of biscuit tins full of 1d and 2d bangers and 3d cannons - plus the odd rip-rap.

I’ve still not seen my elder brother, Lauchlan, regarding your list of names, but it’s his birthday next weekend, so I will make the journey up to Tyldesley and check them out.
Barrie

> This message was edited at 10:43 on 6 December 2010 by Barrie McKinnon

Barrie McKinnon
Salford born and bred
tongue
Posted by: shianna55 on 24 December 2010 at 8.12am
Lower Seedley road the corner shop going bback up to Sutton Flats was my mums/Grans. Berry’s grocer sold the best bacon anywhere.
We later moved a little closer to the flats into Shrewsbury street no 3. Mike Keogh? lived next door my best friend, a wonderful Irish family his dad worked in the fish Market in M/c and when he arrived home every cat in the arae followed him. Mrs Kogh hated cats i seem sto remember :) Oh what did we give away? What a wonderful place to grow up in evn though we had the war we enjoiyed playing in the bombed buildongs, and snow!!! they call this stuff we get now ’snow’ pha! When it came over the wellie tops them it was snow. Love n Hugs , a Doyle./ mums maiden name Berry.
Posted by: shianna55 on 24 December 2010 at 8.39am
Further to above post, anyone who reembers mum would remember ’Domo’ one of only thirteen English bullmastives in Gt Britain at that time. He weighed all of 13 stone a massive brown fury thing i used to fall asleep on outside the shop in the warm sunshine. He (domo) coulod carry eggs in his mouth all day without breaking one, good place to hide them when there were shortages :) lol names :- Alan Lockett? Mike Keogh, Ged Caldwell, Jimmy Cunningham, Harry mather, Elsie locket Aunty Glady’s, wow loads...and yes Moores Bakery now Warburtons i believe?. I worked for the Lwr Seedley Rd; newspaper shop, right opposite Grans grocery shop, back then as a paper girl,cold mornings pfft! we though nothing of it.2/6 a week roflol....... lol Delivering to the flats was a nightmare sometimes though, those rubbish shutes scared the hell out of you if someone dropped apile of stuff down just as you weere passing it by, and the smell at the bottom ugh! Remember the ’brokeners’bisquits? The glass fronteed square bisquit tins with all the goodies inside... Kepp the memories flowing it’s the greatest Salfords sitet, if poss.I would love a pic of the Clock Tower at Cross lane Market, i’m a bit if a drawer:)

Page 4 of 4 First page Previous page 1234