Home » Online council services » Discussion forum

Salford City Council discussion forum

We have amended the terms and conditions as of 15 July 2014, which users must accept before they can access the forum. Existing users of the forum confirm that they accept and agree to the amended terms and conditions by continuing to access the forum.

Forum home   Search the forum   Forum members   Forum terms and conditions   Forum help   Log in   Register

All forums » Find old friends

Page 1 of 2 12 Next page Last page 

mount carmels ordsall
Posted by: m doyle on 20 April 2008 at 11.44pm
does any one remember miss grey ,the kids today.would be amazed.also good.also basher walsh,looked like he had done 10 rounds with tyson.a great football coach.miss ward,sexy miss dobbins,but miss grey was mount carmels
Posted by: Ken Phoenix on 7 July 2008 at 3.04pm
I remember Miss Grey and also the silly song you Mt’s kids used to sing to Miss G\ and your teachers.

"Good morning Miss Grey, Good Morning Miss Grey, Good Morning Dear teachers, Good Morning Miss Grey."

I was a Regent Road kid that went there for woodwork.

Ken Phoenix

> This message was edited at 08:08 on 28 July 2008 by Ken Phoenix
Posted by: jim dulhanty on 21 July 2008 at 2.52pm
I remember miss Gray well , she retired to a nursing home in York and died at the age of ninety. Apparently there was a rumour that she rejected her faith during her last years but i would`nt give any credence to that story. She was inclined to go over the top sometimes at prayers with tears in her eyes but she was immensely proud of her pupils and the school. i can picture her now in her tweeds walking with the school along Chapel street in the whit walks . I left `Mounts`57 years ago and still remember the names of the class.
Jim D

> This message was edited at 15:00 on 22 July 2008 by jim dulhanty

old salfordian
Posted by: Ken Phoenix on 28 July 2008 at 8.06am
You must be my vintage Jim. As much as I wasn’t a Mt’s lad, many of my friends were and I lived in the flats overlooking the school yard (seniors). So we had to tollerate the Mighty Mt Carmel’s Pipe band durig it’s rehersals,etc. But they were good when in full fling.

I also can’t imagine Miss Gray renouncing her faith. It’s just to much to comprehend, and renouncing her school kids would have been an even greater one. She was is and always has been an imagine in my mind for Old Devoted School head’s.

To this day I am in touch with some old Mount’s people, and all our images of Miss Gray have not changed.

Ken Phoenix.

> This message was edited at 00:01 on 29 July 2008 by Ken Phoenix
Posted by: Wilf Veevers on 28 July 2008 at 4.57pm
Hello Jim

Have responded to your email...

Best Regards

Wilf Veevers

Salford Lad
Posted by: jim dulhanty on 28 July 2008 at 8.41pm
Hello wilf ,
I was so pleased that it was in fact your father that i remembered from way back. I`ve no doubt he told you of the lady who used to sell packets of lavender crying " buy a packet buy a packet , all the time visiting the pubs on Cross Lane. Did you know your dad worked on the Salford buses. I think he warmed to me when i told him i had my wedding reception upstairs in the Buck . I will write at length sometime if you wish as i find this forum excellant to an old codger like me. i remember coming home from Germany on demob and the train came from Harwich to Machester Central. as it passed through cornbrook from the viaduct i could see all the factories in Ordsall Lane. In a daft sort of way they were like old friends, i thought it would never change in my lifetime, it did eventually , was it for the better.
With my kindest regards to all the writers on the forum.
Jim Dulhanty

old salfordian
Posted by: Wilf Veevers on 28 July 2008 at 9pm
Hello Jim

By all means email when you wish with more stories, fascinating they are. I knew my dad was a bus driver. His best mate on the buses was John Harper...

My mam says I’m his double....

Look forward to hearing from you soon Jim

Best Regards

Wilf

Salford Lad
Posted by: m doyle on 28 July 2008 at 9.16pm
its great to see my message about mounts as brought back so many memories,does anyone out there remember all the great pubs on cross lane and regent road,now they was nights to remember,live entertainment,the first curry restaurant,on your way home,the chippy ,eating chips out of paper,the little wooden falks,i could go on and on,anyone remeber pat doyle my late hubby,what you call real men in those days,regards to all you old salfordians,happy memories.
Posted by: jim dulhanty on 30 July 2008 at 4.48pm
dear ken,
It was interesting to read your letter regarding the pipe band at Mount Carmels and how you lived near the school and could hesr the pipe band rehearsing. I watched those flats take shape when a firm called Thomas Maiden from Ancoats levelled and prepared the groundwork prior to building. We were a bit miffed because we used to slide down the small hills that covered the air raid shelters, they were there quite a while after the war. What i would like to know is when they actually started to accept the tenants. I left Mounts in 1950 and have no actual memory if they had completed any of them by then, I think one was called Everard House . I know they outlived three high-rise flats that were behind the two Brewers pub on regent road that were built well after the flats you mentioned , they were named after lakes . Patterdale, and Langdale come to mind.
regards,
Jim

> This message was edited at 16:53 on 30 July 2008 by jim dulhanty

old salfordian
Posted by: Wilf Veevers on 30 July 2008 at 6.21pm
Ennerdale was the other one Jim

Regards

Wilf

Salford Lad
Posted by: m doyle on 30 July 2008 at 9.38pm
there was also regent and woden ,i know people lived in them in the fifties,mike sweeny of the salford jets, lived there.
Posted by: Ken Phoenix on 31 July 2008 at 12.56am
Hi Everyone,

You have the names correct. I cant remember them all but I lived in 48 Everard House. I seem to remember names likeWoden, Eggerton, Regent, and Everard of course.

I have one name missing which I think was Tatton, there was 5 blocks in all. Three long and two short rows. The short rows being closest to Boot’s Chemist and the Dominion/Esseldo Cinema. It changed names but I always knew it as ’The Dom’.

We were not the first into Everard or the flats, but were the first into our flat and that was 1949. I can’t tell you a great deal from back then as I was only 3 years old whe we moved in.

Mike Sweeney was one of many lads that played soccer on the crofts fcing Mt’s. he lived on the block facing ours.

Speaking of air-raid shelters, every block had air-raid shelters under them, and there were two entrances per block, plus they had a single passage between blocks. Two of my Uncles were caretaker on our flats and I got to play down there.

Great memories and I have written many poems about my Salford childhood, so my memories are not lost - Barmy Mick, Cokey Nolan, Nitty Nora, Window Cleaner, Knocker Up.

Also one called ’The Old Iron Lamp Post on Mt Carmel’s Brue, which was on dispaly in the Salford Museum. I never got to see the display, but have photos. The display was over when I visited. I live in South Australia.

Regards to all,

Ken
Posted by: Ken Phoenix on 31 July 2008 at 12.57am
Hi Everyone,

You have the names correct. I cant remember them all but I lived in 48 Everard House. I seem to remember names like Woden, Eggerton, Regent, and Everard of course.

I have one name missing which I think was Tatton, there was 5 blocks in all. Three long and two short rows. The short rows being closest to Boot’s Chemist and the Dominion/Esseldo Cinema. It changed names but I always knew it as ’The Dom’.

We were not the first into Everard, but were the first into our flat and that was 1949. I can’t tell you a great deal from back then as I was only 3 years old we we moved in.

Mike Sweeney was one of many lads that I played soccer with on the crofts facing Mt’s. Mike lived on the block facing ours.

Speaking of air-raid shelters, every block had them underneith. There were two entrances per block, plus they had a single passage i the centre between blocks. it aligned witht he walk ways that passed betweeen the blocks. Two of my Uncles were caretaker on our flats and I got to play down there.

Great memories, and I have written many poems about my Salford childhood, so my memories are not lost - Barmy Mick, Cokey Nolan, Nitty Nora, Window Cleaner, Knocker Up.

Also a poem called ’The Old Iron Lamp Post on Mt Carmel’s Brue, which was on dispaly in the Salford Museum. I never got to see the display, but have photos. The display was over when I visited. I live in South Australia.

You may remember the lamp post as it was on the footpath almost in the centre of the Senior School building. We treated it like a tree.

Regards to all,

Ken

> This message was edited at 01:07 on 31 July 2008 by Ken Phoenix
Posted by: Ken Phoenix on 31 July 2008 at 1.01am
Jim not only did the old flats outlive those large ones, which my siblings moved into at one stage.

But Everard and co are still standing. Well they were two year ago when I was last in the UK. I believe they were bought and modernised by Wimpey, and then sold.

Ken
Posted by: m doyle on 31 July 2008 at 8.25am
1 think they were sold for ten pounds each,i lived on regent for a time ,solid ,concrete,flats ,with a varanda.they are all privatly owned.
Posted by: Ken Phoenix on 31 July 2008 at 11.13am
"Ten Pounds each". There has to be a catch . I would have bought a whole block for that price. They would not have fallen down in another 100 years.

They were very basic as you know but also very strong. They were built at the end of the war and I think that was a consideration. Thus the aior-raid shelters underneith.

M Doyle what years did you live on Regent? I was on the flats from 1949 - 1966, but was in the army from 1962. I have to wonder if we knew each other?

I was born 1946. My photo , etc is on Friends Reunited,

Regards to all,

Ken Phoenix.
Posted by: katy5350 on 6 October 2008 at 12.24am
Hello,

I’m an ex mount carmel pupil, 1959-1965, (juniors, Mr.Glynn and Seniors, Miss Gray, and no, I cant believe she ever lost her faith)!! Moved into Sacred Heart when it first opened, was only there 3 months before I left. Names mentioned on here bring back so many memories. I loved the Mounts pipe band and was so proud to be walking behind them on Whit Friday. I was Cummins then, though I doubt anyone will remember me, happy memories though.
Posted by: Ken Phoenix on 6 October 2008 at 1.01am
Looks like I will be checking the old flats again next year. I have been invited to an Army reunion at Boddelwydden near Rhyl.

I am hoping to make it (need the sharemarket to improve). I wil no doubt bunk down at my sister’s near Cheetham Hill for a while.

It wil be good to walk the old paths again. Lived in South Australia for the last 36 years, but always get a funny/special feeling to walk on Ordsall Lane and other spots.

Ken
Posted by: Julietobin on 28 October 2008 at 5.02pm
All still standing
JR
Posted by: Ken Phoenix on 28 October 2008 at 10.05pm
Do any of you rememebr the kilbourn Twins Judy & Susan, and nthey also had a younger brother Mark.

I remember meeting them when they returned from living in canada and moved onto the flats. Happy to say I am now in touch with them both. Judy lives in Cheshire, and Susan has been in America for many years.

Sandra McKay is another Mount’s girl off the flats that I knew well. She married a Mount’s lad Jimmy Jordan who was a plumber from memory.

Gee lots of great memories from those long gone days.

Best wishes to all.

Ken
Posted by: toothpuller (Alan) on 30 October 2008 at 10.29am
As far as I cam remember they started at Oldfield road with,Croft house,Egerton house,Everard House,Regent house and then Woden House.Great times and long hot summers.

> This message was edited at 13:17 on 30 October 2008 by toothpuller (Alan)
Posted by: bernadette.carter on 3 September 2009 at 2.57pm
Hello everyone,

I lived on Regent Road flats and have so many happy memories. I also went to Mount Carmel school, as well as my three brothers. My name is Bernadette Carter, but my maiden name is Bones. Mum and Dad moved to Edgerton hs round about 1952 till 1963, we lived a brief while in Salford 3, but moved back to Everard hs in 1966 till 1968. I remember the bag pipe practice, the whit walks with fondness. I attended Mount Carmel up to bein 11, then went to the ’big school’, Sacred Heart..........but didnt like it very much, wanted to go back to Mounts! Does any one remember Miss Donlevey the head mistress at Mount Carmel?
Posted by: Colin Foster on 3 September 2009 at 11.23pm
Yes they still are all there!

I remember many of the flats as we ran a children’s club on Saturday mornings in the basement of Woden House in the 1970s.

There were improvements to the flats in 70s and a number of residents moved into the new housing being built in the rest of Ordsall and later on around the old St Bartholomew’s site (it had been designated for a road).

In the early 1990’s (I think) the flats were sold by Salford Council because they were difficult to let.
Posted by: gwen on 11 October 2009 at 5.49pm
"n"

> This message was edited at 15:04 on 19 October 2009 by gwen
Posted by: rogersarthur48 on 10 January 2010 at 4.26pm
anybody remember billy graham he played the pipes with mount carmel pipe band .

Page 1 of 2 12 Next page Last page